Your intimate wedding, and elopement photographer of the Finger Lakes, New York!
During your boudoir session you have full permission to be fabulous, be sexy, and be confident! Sp put your red lipstick on, flip your hair, arch your back and lets do this!
• Bring a few outfits! We will lay them all out and pick together what ones will work for what you are envision. Don’t forget to bring tops AND bottoms and any accessories you would like to include.
• Wear outfits you feel beautiful and confident in. Bodysuits are flattering on all shapes, and silk robes work well to hide little things if needed.
• Your wardrobe should be authentic to you, but it’s a great idea to kick it up a notch. Layers, accessories and textures add interest and make your photos more you!
• If you are incorporating your significant other into the session, it is okay to bring something of theirs with you. Such as a jersey, shirt, hat or hobby they enjoy. I do ask no firearms are brought to locations to use as props or otherwise.
• Avoid clothing with strong patterns, logos, words, etc. (Think Zig Zags, athletic shirts, super tight knit plaids, etc.)
• Ensure all tags are removed from clothing.
Try on your outfits prior to the day of the session, this way if something does not fit you can get it in a different size or color.
Steam or iron your ensembles and hang them properly to keep their shape.
Bring at least one set of white or black panties, these any always go with almost any top!
• Avoid stark white, neon colors and busy patterns that create a moire pattern. Some patterns are OKAY…but keep in mind trendy fashion will translate in your images!
• I recommend neutrals, earth tones, pastels, jewel tones.
• Find colors that will set the tone of your session. Darker colors set for a more moody and sultry look. While whites and pinks set for something more sweet and innocent.
• Steam or Iron your clothes the best you can prior to the session. There is nothing worse than trying to edit out MAJOR wrinkles.
• Look into purchasing a hotel rate the afternoon with a late check out time/early check in time. Sometimes they even will do a small day rate.
• Often times air b & b’s can also be rented out for a day. Please make sure to check with the property owner prior to the session to ensure it is okay to take pictures at this location.
If you want to shoot the session outdoors, that is okay too! We just make sure public parks are a no go, as well as public areas. We want the area to be secluded for privacy purposes.
• If this is a session in your home, please be sure to tidy up any clutter you may have but don’t worry about making it look like a Pottery Barn catalog either. Find the room with the best, brightest light and we can work from there!
*KEEP IN MIND: Sessions are scheduled around sunlight, so sunset is later into the evening. Mid-morning or afternoon does not provide optimal light so let’s try to avoid those if we can! Early morning light can also be beautiful, some locations take longer to get to than others, so be aware of walking time, driving time, etc. to get that great light!
• DO NOT STRESS! Relax before your session, have a drink if you need to or just simply start your day ready to be totally bad ass!
• Sessions usually last about 2 hours. Eat a good meal before your photos (hungry tummies =grumpy faces). I highly suggest eating bringing snacks & water too!
• We don’t say “CHEESE”. Don’t stress about your “actual smile” We want to capture WHO you are at this stage of life. You are unique, and I am in the business of capturing authenticity!
• If it’s bug season, bring bug spray!
• Be sure to take hair ties of your wrists a few hours before your session, as well as arriving to the session with loose fitting clothing. You do not want marks from undergarments on your body when we start.
• Don’t obsess over Pinterest poses… I’m going to create a session that’s 100% unique to you. Trust me, we got this!
• Avoid too much tanning… Professional cameras enhance warm tones making some freshly tanned skin VERY warm, think oompa loompa.
• If you get a funky sunburn immediately before your session, let’s reschedule!
• Ladies, don’t forget to bring along your lipstick or lip gloss for touch ups. Many ladies like to get their hair, nails and makeup done for their session, it’s a great idea to make sure you look and feel your best! .\
*Don’t worry about carrying all your stuff! Most of the time I do have an assistant with me to help carry coats, bags, etc. Wear appropriate layers for the weather. We will hold onto coats, but bring it so you’re not freezing in winter/spring weather!
* Keep drinking plenty of water! This does amazing things for your skin!
*Begin to use lotion regularly or more frequently to keep skin smooth and soft. it never hurts to bring it with you as well.
*Please arrive with your hair ready to go, and a clean face for the make up artist. If you’d like to bring any hair tools for touch ups feel free.
• It will take me 3 to 4 weeks to cull, edit, upload images to the gallery, and deliver your images! I will try my best to give you sneak peeks of your images. If you need images quicker due to a deadline, please be sure to let me know before we schedule your session so I can give you an idea of if I can make that deadline or not (if I’m shooting a couple of weddings and a couple of engagement sessions right around the time of your session, it may take me closer to the 4 week mark, but if I only have a few other things in my editing queue, it should be feasible)!
One Final Note
I know I just gave you a lot to think about! PHEW! This guide was created to help make your session experience something you will look back on and smile! At the end of the day, though, the location you choose and the outfits you select won’t matter nearly as much as the memories you make. Your future marriage is the most important thing to me, and I want your session to be a time for you to just be yourself and enjoy it, laugh a lot and I’ll take care of the rest!
Cannot wait to work with you!
– Dani Thorn
Photographer, Dani T Photography